Mackenzie's Mission believes no child should die or suffer brain injury as a result of drowning.
Every day we provide water safety and life jacket education because
drowning is preventable.
Mackenzie's Mission provides water safety and life jacket education. The goal of this program is to supply individuals and families with the necessary knowledge to prevent water tragedies around open water, and around the home, in order to reduce the fatal drowning and non-fatal drowning incidents in Colorado.
1. Increase knowledge about water related dangers in and away from the home.
2. Increase knowledge about life jacket use, proper fitting, and the usable condition of life jackets.
3. Raise awareness about the use of life vests.
4. Increase awareness of safe rescue techniques (i.e. Reach, Throw, Don't Go).
5. Increase awareness of what drowning looks and sounds like.
6. Increase knowledge about Shallow Water Blackout.
Currently, there are no known water safety education programs in Northern Colorado. Having support for this program will make a large impact in this area because it will ensure that residents who participate in the outdoor recreational opportunities know the risks and precautions necessary as well as the importance of using the appropriate, safe, and fitting life jackets. This program will allow Mackenzie's Mission to reach out to all ages and socio-economic status'.
Each educational session will include educational, take-away packets. This will allow for increased knowledge to passed to those who do not attend the session, but may not know about proper fitting techniques or water safety issues.
In addition, by providing individuals with the opportunity to try on a life jacket, individuals are learning firsthand how to properly size and fit the jacket for themselves, or for a friend or relative.
Mackenzie's Mission needs:
* New or slightly used USCG approved life jackets
* Volunteers to assist with educational sessions
* Printing and copying services